Operators Maintenance (Cont)
3-6.1. CHANGE WHEEL AND TIRE ASSEMBLY (CONT).
c. Remove Flat Tire or Wheel.
(1) Remove jack (1) and jack base plate (2) from stowage.
(2) It may be necessary to place wheel chock (3) under flat tire (4) to get
jack (1) under equalizer beam (5).
(3) Position jack (1) and jack base plate (2) under equalizer beam (5).
(4) Unscrew jack ram (6) until it touches equalizer beam (5)
approximately 4 to 5 in. (102 to 127 mm) from beam center pivot point
Do not loosen or remove outer nuts on wheel. Outer
nuts hold wheel assembly together. Tire is under
pressure and loosening these nuts can cause the tire to
blow apart. Severe injury or death may occur.
Studs and lugnuts on left side of vehicle have left-hand
threads. Rotate lugnuts clockwise to loosen,
counterclockwise to tighten. Studs and lugnuts on
right side of vehicle have right-hand threads. Rotate
lugnuts counterclockwise to loosen, clockwise to
(5) Loosen 10 lugnuts (8) until they turn easily.