Operators Maintenance (Cont)
3-6.1. CHANGE WHEEL AND TIRE ASSEMBLY (CONT).
(1) Roll spare tire (1) up to axle (2) where flat tire was removed.
Check that spare tire wheel dish is in same position as
flat tire wheel dish. Deep side of wheel dish will face
toward vehicle on four front wheels. Deep side of wheel
dish will face away from vehicle on four rear wheels
except M984E1. All eight wheels on M984E1 are
installed with deep side of wheel dish facing toward
(2) Make sure deep side of spare tire wheel dish (3) is in same position as
flat tire wheel dish when flat tire was removed.
Tire valve stem extension must be removed to
reposition tire valve stem extension.
(3) Make sure tire valve stem extension is pointing out away from
(4) Line up holes (4) in spare tire (1) with studs (5).
Tire assembly is very heavy. Do not try to lift or catch
tire assembly. Injury to personnel could result.
(5) Lean top of spare tire (1) against studs (5) and axle (2).
(6) Using handle extension (6), Soldier A slides spare tire onto studs (5)
while Soldier B raises vehicle with jack. Bottom of spare tire (1)
should swing toward vehicle.
(7) Lower vehicle with jack until spare tire (1) just touches ground.
(8) Repeat steps (5) through (7) until spare tire (1) is seated on axle (2)
and studs (5).