Axles No. 3 and No. 4 Maintenance Instructions (Cont)
This task covers:
d. Follow-on Maintenance
TM or Para
Axle on clean work surface.
Special Environmental Conditions
Adhesive-sealant, silicone, Item 6, Appendix C General Safety Instructions
Solvent, dry cleaning, Item 57, Appendix C
MOS 63W, Wheel vehicle repairer (2)
Level of Maintenance
Remove 12 nuts (1), lockwashers (2), and
Attach lifting device to differential
Soldier A removes differential carrier (4)
while Soldier B operates lifting device.
Mount differential carrier (4) on stand and
fasten in place. Remove lifting device.
(1) Scrape dirt and old sealant from mounting
surface on axle housing.
Adhesives, solvents, and sealing compounds can
burn easily, can give off harmful vapors, and are
harmful to skin and clothing. To avoid injury or
death, keep away from open fire and use in
well-ventilated area. If adhesive, solvent, or
sealing compound gets on skin or clothing, wash
immediately with soap and water.
(2) Use dry cleaning solvent to clean axle housing.
(3) Use clean cloth to wipe dry.
(4) Inspect axle housing for cracks or damage. Replace if damaged.
(5) Inspect mounting studs for cracks, breaks, and damaged threads. Replace if damaged.