M978 Tanker Maintenance
122-21. V14 PILOT VALVE REPAIR (CONT). I
Procedures Instructions (Cent)
(1,) Remove Sk screws (1) and washers (2) from cover (3).
(2) Remove cover (3) and diaphragm (4) from fitting (5).
Release spring tension slowly to prevent parts from scattering
and being lost.
(3) Remove retaining ring (6) from poppet (7) and remove
poppet from fitting (5).
(4) Remove washer (8) and spring (9) from fitting (5).
Adhesives, solvents, and sealing compounds can burn easily,
can give off harmful vapors, and are harmful to skin and
clothing. lb avoid iqjury or death, keep away from open fire
and use in well-ventilated area. If adhesive, solvent, or sealing
compound gets on skin or clothing, wash immediately with soap
(1) Clean all metal parts with dry cleaning solvent.
Compressed air used for cleaning purposes will not exceed
30 psi (207 kPa). Use only with effective chip guarding and
personal protective equipment, goggles, shield, and gloves.
(2) Dry metal parts with clean cloth or compressed air.
(3) Inspect all metal parts for bends, breaks, cracks, and sharp edges.
(4) Replace damaged parts.
(1) Install poppet (7) in fitting (5).
(2) Apply thin coat of oil to spring (9) and install on poppet (7).
Keep pressure on spring until retaining ring is installed to prevent parts from
scattering and being lost.
(3) Install washer (8) and retaining ring (6) on poppet (7).
(4) Install diaphragm (4) and cover (3) with six washers (2) and screws (1).
d. Follow-on Maintenance. None.
END OF TASK