M978 Tanker Maintenance Procedures Instructions (Cont)
22-5. AUXILIARY PUMP REPAIR (CONT).
(2) Install motor (3) on pedestal (4)
with four screws (5) and
Handle stationary seal and carbon
ring by sides only. Fingerprints or
contamination on face of seals will
cause pump malfunction.
Seal is provided as a kit. Kit consists
of: spring seat, spring, shaft seal,
carbon seal, and stationary seal.
(3) Lubricate edge of stationary seal (7) with oil and install.
(4) Apply small amount of grease to front of carbon seal (8) and place
Adhesives, solvents, and sealing compounds can burn easily, car
in shaft seal (9).
give off harmful
vapors, and are harmful to skin-and clothing. To avoid injury or death, keep away
from open fire and use in well-ventilated area. If adhesive, solvent, or sealing
compound gets on skin or clothing, wash immediately with soap and water.
(5) Wipe sealing surfaces of stationary seal (7) and carbon seal (8) with dry cleaning solvent and
install shaft seal (9).
(6) Install spring (10) and spring
seat (11) on impeller shaft (12).
Number of shims will vary from
pump to pump.
(7) Install shims (13) and
(8) Hold impeller shaft (12) and
install impeller (15).
(9) Apply sealing and thread
locking compound to threads
of jamnut (16) and install.