M977, M985, and M984E1 Crane Maintenance Instructions (Cont)
Remove spacer (20).
Remove preformed packing (21) and backup
Remove head (23) from rod (12).
Remove wear ring (24), backup ring (25), and
seal (26) from head (23).
Remove retaining ring (11) and wiper
ring (27) from rod (12).
Adhesives, solvents, and sealing
compounds can burn easily, can give off
harmful vapors, and are harmful to skin
and clothing. To avoid injury or death,
keep away from open fire and use in well-
ventilated area. If adhesive, solvent, or
sealing compound gets on skin or clothing,
wash immediately with soap and water.
(1) Clean all metal parts in dry cleaning solvent.
(2) Inspect each part for damage.
(3) Replace damaged parts.
(4) Check bushing inside diameter. If diameter is larger than 2.020 in. (51.30 mm), replace bushing.
(1) Install wiper ring (1) in retaining ring (2).
(2) Install retaining ring (2) on rod (3).