Axles No. 3 and No. 4 Maintenance Instructions (Cont)
1 0-7. DIFFERENTIAL CARRlER COVER, AXLE NO. 3 REMOVAL/REPAlR/lNSTALLlON
Wear safety glasses while removing retaining ring to
protect eyes from possible injury or blindness.
N O T E
Support bearing and bearing race are provided as a set.
Replace support bearing (para 10-12) whenever
replacing bearing race.
(24) Remove retaining ring (45) and bearing race (46) from
inside differential carrier cover (26).
(1) Scrape old sealant from differential carrier cover and differential carrier.
Adhesives, solvents, and sealing compounds can bum easily, can give off harmful
vapors, and are harmful to skin and clothing. lb avoid injury or death, keep away
from open fire and use in well-ventilated area. If adhesive, solvent, or sealing
compound gets on skin or clothing, wash immediately with soap and water.
(2) Use brush and dry cleaning solvent to clean all parts.
(3) Allow bearings to air dry, then coat with lubricating oil.
Compressed air used for cleaning purposes will not exceed 30 psi (207 kPa). Use
only with effective chip guarding and personal protective equipment, goggles,
shield, and gloves.
(4) Use clean cloth or compressed air to dry all metal parts.
(5) Inspect all metal parts for breaks, cracks, nicks, burrs, and sharp edges.
(6) Inspect bearings for loose rollers and cracked or broken races.
(7) Replace thrust washer removed from input shaft.
(8) Replace two bushings removed from side gear
(9) Replace all damaged parts.
(10) Inspect dowel pins for cracks and breaks. Replace if damaged.
(11) Inspect expansion plugs for damage and signs of leaks. Replace if damaged or if there is evidence