Section II. EQUIPMENT DESCRIPTION
Features and Capabilities
1-9. EQUIPMENT CHARACTERISTICS, CAPABILITIES, AND FEATURES.
(1) The M977 cargo vehicle is used for ammunition resupply and other
(2) The M978 tanker is used to refuel wheeled and tracked vehicles and for
other fuel resupply missions.
(3) The M983 tractor is used to transport Patriot missile system
(4) The M984A1 vehicle is used as a multipurpose vehicle capable of
recovering and towing a full spectrum of loaded, wheeled vehicles. This vehicle
has lift and reach capability to perform maintenance assistance associated with
removing and replacing power packs and heavy components from a wide range of
wheeled and tracked vehicles.
(5) The M985 cargo vehicle is used to resupply the Multiple Launch Rocket
(1) All models are capable of operating in temperatures from -25_ to 120_F
(-32_ to 49_C) and to -50_F (-46_C) with arctic kit installed.
(2) All models can ford water up to 48-in. (1 219 mm) deep for 5 minutes
without damage or without requiring maintenance before operation can
(3) Normal operating range of all models is 300 miles (483 km), based upon
154 gallons (583 L) of fuel and 100,000-lb (45 400 kg) GCWR, traveling over
mixed terrain. Varying loads, prolonged idle, use of power takeoff (PTO), offroad
driving, and climatic conditions affect operating range.
(4) All models are provided with sufficient tiedown points located so
vehicles can be restrained in all directions during air transport in C-130, C-141,
and C-5A type aircraft. All models are capable of being transported by highway,
rail, and sea.
(1) Non-FHTV model vehicles are equipped with an eight-cylinder, V-type,
2-cycle, fuel injected, turbocharged diesel engine.
(1.1) FHTV model vehicles incorporate a DDEC IV electronically controlled,
eight cylinder, V-type, 2 cycle, fuel injected, turbocharged diesel engine.
(2) Non-FHTV model vehicles use an automatic transmission with one
reverse speed and four forward speeds.
FHTV model vehicles incorporate a push button automatic transmission
with one reverse speed and six forward speeds.
(3) Operator controlled 4-wheel/8-wheel drive and high and low range
transfer case for positive traction in areas of unimproved road surfaces.
(4) Power steering system consists of basic manual steering system with
hydraulic boost. Mechanical linkage also provides operator control in event of
hydraulic oil pressure loss.
(5) Fuel system includes one fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel-water separator, fuel
pump, secondary filter, fuel pipes, and fuel injectors.
(6) Two front and two rear towing eyes.
(7) Manual-release-type rear pintle hook which will allow towing of a
(8) Radio frequency interference suppression to permit voice radio
communications during all phases of operation.