HOOK ARM/MAIN FRAME CYLINDER REPAIR (continued).
(14) Remove lube fitting (18) from cylinder (1).
Drycleaning solvent is TOXIC and flammable. Wear protective goggles and
gloves; use only in a well-ventilated area; avoid contact with skin, eyes, and clothes;
and DO NOT breathe vapors. Keep away from heat or flame. Never smoke when
using drycleaning solvent; the flashpoint for Type II is 140 degrees F (60 degrees
C), and for Type III it is 200 degrees F (93 degrees C). Failure to follow this warning
may result in death or injury to personnel.
If personnel become dizzy while using cleaning solvent, immediately get fresh air
and medical help. If solvent contacts skin or clothes, flush with cold water. If
solvent contacts eyes, immediately flush them with water and get immediate
When drycleaning solvent is used, notify the local medical authority (preventive
medicine) and environmental coordinator concerning medical surveillance,
respiratory protection, and disposal requirements.
Do not use drycleaning solvent on winch rope (cable). Solvent will soak into rope
strands and rust, causing rope to deteriorate. This may result in the rope breaking
under normal loads and could cause death or injury to personnel.
(1) Clean all components and flush cylinder barrel using drycleaning solvent (P-D-680) only. Do not use
cleaning cloth as any foreign material would contaminate hydraulic system.
(2) Inspect barrel bore for any scratches or corrosion. Replace barrel if rusted. Replace barrel and piston if
either component is scratched.
(3) Inspect rod for bending. Replace if necessary.
(4) Inspect for scratches or pitting. Remove minor scratches and pitting by using stone and lubrication oil.
Stone imperfection just enough to smooth raised part.
(5) Inspect component threads for burrs and stripped threads. Replace or repair as necessary.