a. When National Stock Number or Part Number Is Not Known:
(1) First. Using the table of contents, determine the functional group or subfunctional group to which the
item belongs. This is necessary since figures are prepared for functional groups and subfunctional groups, and
listings are divided into the same groups.
(2) Second. Find the figure covering the functional group or subfunctional group to which the item
(3) Third. Identify the item on the figure and note the item number of the item.
(4) Fourth. Refer to the Repair Parts List for the figure to find the line item entry for the item number noted
on the figure.
b. When National Stock Number or Part Number Is Known:
(1) First. Using the Index of National Stock Numbers and Part Numbers, find the pertinent National stock
number or part number. The NSN index is in National Item Identification Number (NIIN)* sequence. The part
numbers in the Part Number index are listed in ascending alphanumeric sequence. Both indexes cross-reference
you to the illustration figure and item number of the item you are looking for.
The NIIN consists of the last nine digits of the NSN (i.e., 5305-01-674-1467).
(2) Second. After finding the figure and item number, verify that the item is the one youre looking for, then
locate the item number in the repair parts list for the figure.
The abbreviations used in this manual are found in MIL-STD-12.