M978 Tanker Maintenance Procedure Instructions (Cont)
22-14. V5 AIR ACTUATED FLOW VALVE AND ACTUATOR REPAIR (CONT).
(29) Remove spring guides (48 and 49) from spring (43).
Adhesives, solvents, and sealing compounds can burn
easily, can give off harmful vapors, and are harmful to
skin and clothing. To avoid injury or death, keep away
from open fire and use in well-ventilated area. If
adhesive, solvent, or sealing compound gets on skin or
clothing, wash immediately with soap and water.
(1) Clean all metal parts with dry cleaning solvent.
Compressed air used for cleaning purposes will not exceed 30 psi (207 kPa). Use
only with effective chip guarding and personal protective equipment, goggles,
shield, and gloves.
(2) Dry metal parts with compressed air.
(3) Inspect each part for damage.
(4) Replace damaged parts.
(1) Aline spring (1), spring guides (2
and 3), and screw (4).
As spring is compressed, keep spring
tension under control to prevent injury
(2) Using compression tool, alternately
tighten four nuts (5) and compress
spring (1) and spring guides (2 and 3).
Be sure spring is compressed to recorded
Install screw (4) in spring guide (3) and remove compression tool.
Apply thin layer of grease to inside of cylinder (5)
and install spring assembly (6) in cylinder.