Axles No. 3 and No. 4 Maintenance Instructions (Cont)
Install inner bearing cup (29) in bearing cage (30).
Lubricate and install inner bearing
l Use 0.185-in. (4.70 mm) bearing
l Model 480 axle does not use spacer
(28) Install spacer washer (33) and spacer (34) in bearing cage (30).
(29) Lubricate and install outer bearing cone (35) in outer bearing cup (31).
(30) Position bearing cage (30) in press so outer
bearing cone (35) is on top.
l Turn bearing cage back and forth while
applying pressure to be sure bearings and
bearing cups are well lubricated.
l If bearing cage becomes hard to turn while
applying pressure, STOP! Bearings can be
damaged if too much pressure is applied. Get
next larger spacer and repeat step (31).
(31) Lower press ram for load of 18.0 to 20.0 tons
(16.3 to 18 metric tons).
(32) Wrap soft wire around bearing cage (30) twice
and fasten one end of wire in bearing cage
screw hole. Fasten other end of wire to spring scale.
(33) Pull on spring scale until bearing cage (30) begins to turn. Check that spring scale reads 3 to 7 lbs
(2 to 3 kgs). If spring scale reading is correct, go to step (39). If reading is too low, go to step (37).
If reading is too high, continue with step (34).