Axles No. 3 and No. 4 Maintenance lnstructions (Cont)
10-10. DIFFERENTIAL CARRIER, AXLE NO. 3 (AXLE MODELS 480,580, AND 650) REPAIR
(11) Replace differential output shaft bushing.
(12) Inspect spider for visible steps and grooves on shafts created by wear. Replace worn spider.
(13) Inspect spider gears for chipped teeth, cracks, discoloration and out of round holes.
(14) Inspect expansion plugs for damage or signs of leakage. Replace if damaged or if there is
evidence of leakage.
(1) Install pipe plug (1) in differential carrier (2).
Adhesives, solvents, and sealing compounds can
bum easily, can give off harmful vapors, and are
harmful to skin and clothing. To avoid injury or
death, keep away from open fire and use in
well-ventilated area. If adhesive, solvent, or
sealing compound gets on skin or clothing, wash
immediately with soap and water.
Apply silicone adhesive-sealant to cover (3)
and install with two lockwashers (4) and
Tighten screws (5) to 35 to 45 lb-ft (47 to
Install bearing cone (6) on differential case cover (7).