Winch Maintenance Instructions (Cont)
16-16. HEAVY-DUTY WINCH BRAKE REMOVAL/REPAIR/INSTALLATION (M984) (CONT).
(10) Remove 10 springs (13) from
There are two threaded holes in
piston. Insert two screws and
tighten to remove piston.
(11) Remove piston (14) from
(12) Remove backup ring (15),
preformed packing (16), backup
ring (17), and preformed
packing (18) from piston (14).
Press on closed end of
shaft (19) and remove from
Press bearing (20) from
shaft (19) and remove
10 friction plates (21) and
nine steel plates (22).
Remove spacer (23).
Adhesives, solvents, and sealing compounds can burn easily, can give off harmful
vapors, and are harmful to skin and clothing. To avoid injury or death, keep away
from open fire and use in well-ventilated area. If adhesive, solvent, or sealing
compound gets on skin or clothing, wash immediately with soap and water.
(1) Clean all metal parts with dry cleaning solvent.
(2) Inspect all threaded parts for crossed and stripped threads.
(3) Inspect all parts for damage or cracks.
(4) Measure and record thickness of each friction plate. Replace any friction plate worn to 0.077 in.
(1.95 mm) or less.
(5) Measure and record thickness of new plate if used.