Winch Maintenance Instructions (Cont)
16-14. HEAVY-DUTY WINCH HYDRAULIC MOTOR REPAIR (M984) (CONT).
Adhesives, solvents, and sealing compounds can burn easily, can give off harmful
vapors, and are harmful to skin and clothing. To avoid injury or cleat h, keep away
from open fire and use in well-ventilated area. If adhesive, solvent, or sealing
compound gets on skin or clothing, wash immediately with soap and water.
(1) Clean all metal parts in dry cleaning solvent.
(2) Inspect all mating surfaces for scratches and burrs.
(3) Replace all scratched or damaged parts.
(4) If any one bearing or shaft is damaged, replace as a
(1) Place bearing housing (1) on clean work surface with
large opening up.
(2) Coat shaft face seal (2) with grease and install in
bearing housing (1) with wide opening down.
(3) Press shaft and bearing assembly (3) in bearing
(4) Coat preformed packing (4) with grease and install in
bearing housing (1).
(5) Install dust seal (5) in front
retainer (6) with metal side
of dust seal toward front
(6) Install shaft seal (7) in front
retainer (6) with smooth
side toward retainer.
(7) Coat dust seal (.5) and shaft
seal (7) with grease.
(8) Install front retainer (6) on
shaft and bearing
(9) Coat threads of eight
screws (8) with lubricating
oil and install. Do not
(10) Position bearing housing
in vise with soft jaws.
(11) Tighten screws (8) to
21 lb-ft (28 N.m) in
(12) Position bearing housing
in vise with output shaft