Steering System Maintenance Instructions (Cont)
(23) Measure inside diameter of bearing (25). If bearing is
more than 0.010 in. (0.25 mm) out of round, do
(24) Remove bearing (25) from housing (6).
Adhesives, solvents, and sealing compounds can burn
easily, can give off harmful vapors, and are harmful to
skin and clothing. To avoid injury or death, keep away
from open fire and use in well-ventilated area. If adhesive,
solvent, or sealing compound gets on skin or clothing,
wash immediately with soap and water.
Dirt and foreign material in steering system will cause damage and steering
(1) Clean metal parts in dry cleaning solvent.
(2) Inspect parts for damage.
(3) Replace damaged parts.
(4) Coat all parts with light coat of lubricating oil.
(1) Remove all small nicks or burrs.
(2) Polish minor scoring to allow free movement of mating parts.
(3) Coat all parts with light coat of lubricating oil.
(1) Install bearing (1) flush with inner face of
(2) Coat inner surface of bearing (1) with grease.
Install bearing (3) into rear of housing cover (4). Recess
bearing about 1/4 in. (6.4 mm) below inside face of housing
Coat inner surface of bearing (3) with grease.