Wheel Maintenance Instructions (Cont)
12-3. HUB, WHEEL BEARING, AND WEAR RING REMOVAL/INSTALLATION, NO. 3 AND
NO. 4 AXLES (MODEL 480) (M977, M978, M983, M985) (CONT).
(1) Clean and inspect inner bearing, inner bearing cup, and outer bearing cup for cracks and pitting
(2) Inspect wheel studs for stripped threads, breaks, cracks, or loose fit in hub. If damaged or loose,
(3) Inspect hub for breaks or cracks, and grooves at braking surface. If damaged, replace.
Studs are stamped R and L. R studs are threaded for installation on right side of
vehicle only. L studs are threaded for installation on left side of vehicle only. Be
sure to install correct studs in hub.
(1) Drive 10 wheel studs (1) in hub (2).
(2) Line inner wall of hub (2) with grease.
(3) Install inner bearing cup (3) in rear of hub (2) with stamped face pointing in toward rear of hub.
(4) Install outer bearing cup (4) in front of hub (2) with stamped face pointing in toward front of