Operation Under Unusual Conditions (Cont)
(3) With engine at high idle, fully exercise all functions of crane for at
least 10 minutes.
(4) Continue with operation of crane.
For M978 only, before performing fuel handling operations, perform
warm-up as follows:
(1) Prepare tanker for operations (para 2-20).
(2) Start engine (para 2-11a).
(3) Engage power takeoff (PTO).
(4) With engine at low idle, engage primary pump for at least 5 minutes.
(5) Disengage primary pump.
(6) Continue with fuel handling operations.
Make sure vehicle can clear ground obstructions, such
as stumps and large rocks, before driving over. Stumps
and rocks may damage components underneath vehicle.
Avoid driving over obstructions if possible.
Make sure vehicle can clear overhanging tree limbs and
other obstructions. Low overhead obstructions may
damage cargo, cargo cover and other parts on top of
Avoid low overhanging obstructions if possible.
Check traction and braking. Rocks and fallen leaves can be very slick,
especially when wet.
Tire air pressure must be checked properly or serious
injury or death may result.
When driving over very rocky terrain, be sure spare wheel and tire (1) are
on vehicle, in good repair and at correct pressure (para 3-9). There is greater
chance of tire punctures when operating in rocky terrain.
Fold vehicle side mirrors in far enough so area to rear of vehicle can still
be seen, but mirrors will not be damaged by rocks, trees, and other