Auxiliary Equipment Operation
Operate Arctic Heater.
CARBON MONOXIDE (EXHAUST GAS) CAN CAUSE DEATH.
Carbon monoxide does not have color or smell, but can
cause death. Breathing air with carbon monoxide
produces symptoms of headache, dizziness, loss of
muscular control, a sleepy feeling, and coma. Brain
damage or death can result from heavy exposure.
Carbon monoxide is in exhaust fumes of fuel-burning
heaters and internal combustion engines. Carbon
monoxide can become dangerously concentrated under
conditions of no ventilation. Precautions must be
followed to ensure crew safety when the personnel
heater or engine of any vehicle is operated for any
DO NOT operate vehicle engine in a closed place
unless the place has a lot of ventilation.
DO NOT drive any vehicle with inspection plates,
cover plates, or engine compartment covers
removed unless necessary for maintenance
BE ALERT at all times during vehicle operation
for exhaust odors and exposure symptoms. If
either are present, IMMEDIATELY VENTILATE
personnel compartments. If symptoms continue,
remove affected crew to fresh air and keep warm.
DO NOT PERMIT PHYSICAL EXERCISE. If
necessary, give artificial respiration and get
immediate medical attention. For artificial
respiration, refer to FM 21-11.
BE AWARE that the gas particulate filter unit of
the field protection mask for
nuclear-biological-chemical protection WILL NOT
offer safety from carbon monoxide poisoning.
THE BEST DEFENSE AGAINST CARBON
MONOXIDE POISONING IS GOOD VENTILATION.